Favorites
Show All / Manage

You have no favorites.


Page 1 of 5   |   Go to page   |   1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
User avatar
Soldier
So lately i've been thinking, and came to this conclusion.
Why would anyone animate with stickfigures anyway?
I enjoy it myself, but I achieve nothing by doing it.
Stickfigure animations aren't popular at all anymore, it might have been a fun activity back in 2009 or something but now, you can not even get any recognition for your work.
I thought about making a really advanced stickfigure game with a friend that works like Team Fortress but we stopped because making multiplayer most likely costs money, so we got discouraged and stopped.
That makes me think, is there any point to animating at all? except for, the satisfaction of seeing your work looking nice?
Why do you animate? even if you're a beast with sticks, I doubt stick animating will help you in the real world. I mean, every other hobby can, like, drawing, filming etc.
All of these seem like just random things to do when you're bored but if you become a master at them you can make money with them.
I mean, stick animating can help you go full-body and actually try to make something out of it, but what really can you make out of animating full-body?
I'm not a greedy-fuck at all, I enjoy animating alot, but I feel like it's wasting my time. Every time someone asks me why I animate I mostly answer with "It's fun I guess"
But that's pretty much it. I get nothing from it at all.
No recognition, no money, and you consume alot of time doing these.
What's the point of making something amazing just to have about 1000 people watch it? 1000 people is nothing imo.
I've seen some pivot gods doing absolutely amazing stuff that probably took them like 5 months and all they get is max 2k views.
This applies to flash as well, excluding Hyun who got famous pretty much only for his league video, most of flash animators will get about 1k views. If they are on Hyun's Dojo, probably like 20 - 40k.
Now that's a good amount, but not all of your animations will get there. It's just pretty much getting lucky enough to be there. You can't just fool around and post fun stuff, it'll get like 50 views...
Honestly, the only thing I can think about, is if you're really good at stickfigures, you can move on to fullbody. If you can actually master fullbody, one could say something like "Well i'll go animate animes!"
But that's nearly impossible for anyone who lives outside of Japan. Back when I was like 9 years old and animating my shitty pivot animations with the default stick fucking around, I never thought about something like that.
But that makes sense I guess, I was just a kid doing whatever he wants without worrying about nothing. Now that i've grown, the animation business is pretty much dead for me. There is a literally 2% chance that your video
will get a decent amount of views, and a 40% chance that these viewers will watch your future stuff.
In short, the average person would get nothing at all but satisfaction from making these animations.

So, why do you animate? what do you think about my little rant? try not to answer with "IT'S FUN :o"
And it'll be pretty nice if you do not judge me for my opinion. But well, that's my opinion.
Also no point in telling me to stop animating, because I probably will continue anyways.

User avatar
Samurai
I animate because its my passion. Im passionate about animation so i do what i can to make it my dream. Anyone with enough brain cells can tell you pursuing art as a career choice is a rocky slope.
If youre not ambitious, thats fine, you live your life and ill live mine. its a good thing were all in charge of ourselves.


User avatar
Soldier
d-floe wrote:
I animate because its my passion. Im passionate about animation so i do what i can to make it my dream. Anyone with enough brain cells can tell you pursuing art as a career choice is a rocky slope.
If youre not ambitious, thats fine, you live your life and ill live mine. its a good thing were all in charge of ourselves.


I guess that's a good response. But you really do NOT get anything from it..
Kind of a stupid thing to say, but passion for something that doesn't achieve me something is no passion to me.
What's the point of making something amazing, if you're the only one to see it? or a few more people for that matter.
I sort of understand your point, I mean, I animate as well, and I love doing it but it feels like a waste of time..

User avatar
Banned User
It's my passion. Something I wanted to do since I was just a retarded little child. Now that I've got the chance, why the hell not? Who cares no one likes it anymore? If I like it, I like it. Others opinion matter zero to none existence to me. I also want the stories I make to come to life. Call me a cliche idiot, but that's what I want. As much as people don't care about me and my dreams, I don't care what they think of me. By the way, seen guz's animations? Guy did anime kind stick figure animation.

User avatar
Samurai
IAmTheOcelot wrote:
d-floe wrote:
I animate because its my passion. Im passionate about animation so i do what i can to make it my dream. Anyone with enough brain cells can tell you pursuing art as a career choice is a rocky slope.
If youre not ambitious, thats fine, you live your life and ill live mine. its a good thing were all in charge of ourselves.


I guess that's a good response. But you really do NOT get anything from it..
Kind of a stupid thing to say, but passion for something that doesn't achieve me something is no passion to me.
What's the point of making something amazing, if you're the only one to see it? or a few more people for that matter.
I sort of understand your point, I mean, I animate as well, and I love doing it but it feels like a waste of time..

Im guessing you just glazed over the career choice part of my response. People make money off animation, i dont think you understand that.


User avatar
Banned User
"Do NOT get anything from it..."....

As much as I like Pewdiepie, I don't see how retarded people playing video games should get money just because they're funny. Heck if that were the case, I'd quit animating all together.

User avatar
Soldier
d-floe wrote:
IAmTheOcelot wrote:
d-floe wrote:
I animate because its my passion. Im passionate about animation so i do what i can to make it my dream. Anyone with enough brain cells can tell you pursuing art as a career choice is a rocky slope.
If youre not ambitious, thats fine, you live your life and ill live mine. its a good thing were all in charge of ourselves.


I guess that's a good response. But you really do NOT get anything from it..
Kind of a stupid thing to say, but passion for something that doesn't achieve me something is no passion to me.
What's the point of making something amazing, if you're the only one to see it? or a few more people for that matter.
I sort of understand your point, I mean, I animate as well, and I love doing it but it feels like a waste of time..

Im guessing you just glazed over the career choice part of my response. People make money off animation, i dont think you understand that.


What kind of animation? i'm pretty confident i've seen no 2d animation series, or 2nd game in 2016 that gets too successful unless it's meant for kids(excluding animes).
And even if it does, seriously, what chance does a stickfigure game have? even fullbody doesn't get that successful. It's mostly 3D.
Only 3d animations are worth something imo, but yeah, people make money off animation but if it's just a hobby for you then my point still stands. You still get nothing out of it but satisfaction.

XR145 wrote:
"Do NOT get anything from it..."....

As much as I like Pewdiepie, I don't see how retarded people playing video games should get money just because they're funny. Heck if that were the case, I'd quit animating all together.


Well I don't really like these guys either but it's stilll the entertainment business. It has always been there and it keep on being there. Stickfigure animation on the other hand, or 2d animations for that matter, not so much.

User avatar
Banned User
I get what you're saying. And I respect you, but it's what I've always wanted to do. Satisfaction of seeing my first animation come to life was the best thing for me. Even though it was MS Paint + Movie Maker, I still had good memories of it. Yes, satisfaction is what I want. I don't want to sit around doing work I don't even give a crap about, and then complaining about life not being fair. I don't want to be an emo adult. I want to live a life with what I enjoy doing. OK I lied, I don't enjoy doing it, I enjoy the satisfaction of seeing my animation finished and published. It also helps me to get my mind off of things. (Like the f*cking roommates I got, holy hell they freaking listen to Justin's Bieber "Baby" Song.)

User avatar
Samurai
Animating stickfigures is a good starting point and a stepping stone towards making more advanced stuff. Afterwards you keep practicing till you reach good enough level. You then make a portfolio and try to find a job though any means possible.

The problem here is that you're assuming that working in animation is limited to either making web animations and being Internet famous or working on anime, which is wrong. There are a lot of animation studios that are hiring in many places in the world besides Japan, that don't necessarily require you to be famous in any way. Yeah, it's a very competitive field and is more difficult to find jobs in that other professions, but it's not as impossible as you make it seem here.

Also FYI, it's very possible for someone to work on anime even if they're outside of Japan. It's not easy, but it's doable.

EDIT: I see you mentioned 2D animation. Yeah it's true 3D animation is dominating field, but there's still a very decent amount of well known 2D animated shows and films. And besides, all the knowledge you gain from doing 2D animation is essential to doing 3D animation. It's the same exact concepts but on a different medium.

User avatar
Banned User
^This. So much this.

Also like, I don't watch MLP but I heard it was popular not only to kids. But also adults. (What?)

Page 1 of 5   |   Go to page   |   1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:

Oh dear. Looks like there was a problem.
You are using a browser that doesn't support the technology this website uses.

Don't fret. There are solutions.

Oh dear. Looks like there was a problem.
You are using a version of Internet Explorer that this site doesn't support.

Don't fret. There are solutions.