Favorites
Show All / Manage

You have no favorites.

Page 1 of 1
Villager
Ok, this may just be me going on a mini rant, but...

Why does it seem like most animators don't know how bullets work?!

Now, I cant animate to save my life, but this is such a simple fix that literally anyone could do by deleting pieced from the animation rather than adding. Here is a simple diagram of how a bullet works in real life:

The bullet case, or casing, holds the propellant (usually gunpowder) and the actual bullet (the part that actually shoots out of the gun) is held in the front. The gun hammer strikes the primer, igniting the propellant and forcing the bullet out of the casing and in turn out of the gun. The casing is no longer attached to the bullet and is shot out of the side of the gun from the kickback of the shot, simultaneously getting rid of the casing and reloading the gun (at least for most modern pistols)

This image shows the basic components of a single round very well:

The bullet it what goes on top and comes out of the front of the gun.

One of the examples I am talking about was a part from the dominate colab:

Now, these rounds look incredible in terms of the art style and visual aesthetic (I am not arguing that). But, correct me if I'm wrong (I don't believe that I am but there is always a chance), but I don't think this is how bullets work. Unless you have some very specially shaped bullets that look like the full round, then this is technically incorrect.

Her is the technically propper version (although in 3D):

I wish I had a 2D version of someone doing this properly on hand but sadly I do not.

The only reason I am doing this is not to put anyone down, but to educate. Ive seen so many animators do this that I felt I should say something. Although I cannot animate (yet), I hope this will help at least one animator realize how to do this correctly. If I turn out to be wrong about any of this or if there is an explanation, please let me know and I will edit accordingly. And please don't use the comments to roast any animator that has done this. Thank you.

Soldier
Moved the topic to the Tutorials section.

Villager
GVlash wrote:
Moved the topic to the Tutorials section.

Thanks. Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this one.

Page 1 of 1
Search for:

Oh dear. Looks like there was a problem.
You are using a browser that doesn't support the technology this website uses.

Don't fret. There are solutions.

Oh dear. Looks like there was a problem.
You are using a version of Internet Explorer that this site doesn't support.

Don't fret. There are solutions.